Sometimes the best purpose in life is to sit and watch 1970’s sitcoms.
Reading Time in Minutes
About Noreen Henry
Noreen is a Lecturer in Computing on the Mayo campus of Atlantic Technological University (formally GMIT) since January 2000.
With a background in software and technology management she has in recent years pivoted into the area of Digital Strategy & Marketing, Cybersecurity and Business analytics.
Contacting Noreen Henry
By Noreen Henry
This 1970’s British sitcom clip that is more relevant to life today than it possibly was in its time – turn off the light upstairs – threats of imminent, likely, possible power cuts – power cuts that can be rotten especially for people without their own generator. The struggles and kitchen conversations of the 1970’s are back with us again. But today we strive to be the sustainable, eco-warriors like the once eccentric Tom and Barbara instead of their alter ego Jerry & Margo.
So, in the hope of finding todays version of the good life I asked 38 colleagues just one quick question:
What is your purpose in life?
The selfless nature of the response was uplifting, the three most popular words were – enjoy, family and others, followed by live and good.
Our purpose in life is:
- To live and make the most of it.
- To have a good time, enjoy it and not work too hard!
- Live well & be available to support others
- Be kind and helpful
- To be the best human I can.
- Drink good red wine
- To encourage and inspire others to live their best lives
- To keep learning new things and always be curious.
- To be happy
- To live it to the full, serve others and enjoy myself.
- To care for the people I love
- Enjoy all aspects of life
- To look on in awe at the incredible universe
- Having a good and easy lifestyle
- To contribute to society in a meaningful and thoughtful way and to raise a family that does the same, as well as be a loving support to family and friends in our community.
- To make a difference to others, a positive one!
- Enjoy my family, enjoy work, continue to learn every day and spend time with my friends and family. Share knowledge and contribute my skills to help others who are curious to know more.
- To make a difference to people’s lives from a positive perspective
- To make everyone smile 😊
- To live my best life
- To be happy
- To be the best I can be
- To have my life be my legacy, be kind and loving and have no regrets
- Be content
And then we have the 7.5% of response with – I don’t known.
We all have days and whole periods of our lives when we are in that 7.5%. We could look at the likes of Psychology Today telling us how to find purpose: “Step 1: Find out what drives you. Step 2: Find out what energizes you. Step 3: Find out what you are willing to sacrifice for. Step 4: Find out who you want to help. Step 5: Find out how you want to help.”
However, sometimes the best purpose in life is to sit and watch 1970’s sitcoms without a feeling that we must be doing anything else. Just to rest, rejuvenate and laugh because life is hard enough without having to look for a purpose. Bravo Jerry!