GOODBYE, CEO! #35 #cong21
In the next 3-5years many professionals and consultancies will join together to form ‘Group Consultancies’. These will be led by a shared, rotating group of three senior managers called a ‘Triune’.
The CEO’s days are numbered….
Reading Time in Minutes
- Driven by the Climate Crisis, the overarching focus will be SUSTAINABILITY.
- Companies and organisations will look to ‘GROUP CONSULTANCIES’ for help.
- One ‘SUSTAINABILITY ASSESSMENT’, one fee.
- ‘Group Consultancies’ will be led by a shared, rotating group of 3 senior managers, called a ‘TRIUNE’.
About Alec Taylor
- European citizen, born in Dublin, carry an Irish passport. Proud of all three.
- Consultant, coach, and trainer in Communication Skills & Creativity.
- 11 years in Radio (Germany) and TV (London) and Corporate Video.
- Own consultancy company since 1985, in London, Vienna, and Dublin
- Speak English and German
Contacting Alec Taylor
By Alec Taylor
A SHARED, ROTATING LEADERSHIP IS COMING…
WHAT LIES AHEAD?
A friend of mine in Public Relations in Dublin (with clients across technology, finance and STEM) challenged me to outline what developments are likely to take place in the next 3-5 years which will affect us all as individual professionals and consultancies (PR, Marketing, Risk Management, Quality Management, Advertising, Executive Search, Accountancy and Tax, Legal Affairs, IT/Digital Transformation, Management Consultancy, HR and Training, etc.).
THE EMERGENCE OF ‘CONSULTANCY GROUPS’ IN THE NEXT 3-5 YEARS
My prediction is that – driven by the Climate Crisis – we will see the emergence of ‘Consultancy Groups’. Their overarching focus will be ’Sustainability’ but they will incorporate many of the above-mentioned professionals as ’senior partners’ – maintaining their specialisms.
They will work in close collaboration with each other while acknowledging the primacy of ‘Sustainability’.
This means that client companies can approach a Consultancy Group – let’s call them “ONE PLANET” – and receive an assessment of what they need to do to ensure that their products and/or services meet present and future standards of Sustainability.
This ‘holistic’ Sustainability Assessment will include inputs from the ’senior partners’ (the relevant professionals).
One assessment, one fee.
EXAMPLES OF WHAT IS ALREADY HAPPENING
To get the ball rolling, here is an example of a consultancy developing in the manner I predict: Blurred London The professional ’silos’ are beginning to topple….
In the case of existing global consultancies, the primacy of Sustainability is very visible:
THE ADVENT OF A SHARED, ROTATING LEADERSHIP
Did you notice that at BLURRED there is a ‘Senior Team’ of four founders with a separate Managing Director? My prediction is that this arrangement will evolve into a ‘shared, rotating Leadership’ model.
THE SINGLE CEO TO BE REPLACED BY THE ‘TRIUNE’
There will be a ‘triune’ (in Roman times, a triumvirate) to provide leadership. A group of three senior executives who take it in turns to chair the triune. They will represent the following dimensions of the company or organisation:
1. A ‘CSO’ responsible for Sustainability (overall business strategy, focussing on environmental and human impact)
2. A ‘CFO’ responsible for Finance and business performance
3. A ‘CIO’ responsible for IT and the Digital Transformation
Their decisions will require a simple majority (2 to 1). The rotating chair of the triune will change every six months, in a continuing cycle.
THE CONSULTANCY GROUP “ONE PLANET” WILL BE LED BY A TRIUNE
The two new concepts will function alongside each other as follows: drawn from the pool of ‘senior partners’ (former freelance professionals/consultancies), “ONE PLANET” will be run by a shared, rotating triune. Watch this space….